Denise Goldberg's blog

Red-clad feet on a purple bike
Wandering on two (bicycle) wheels in Downeast Maine

Monday, June 13, 2005

Permission granted...

...for a stop along the side of the road

Along with the confirmation of my reservation at Harbor House B&B, Maureen sent a tourism publication on Maine's Washington County. It's the easternmost county in the state, and is also the furthest east you can travel in the United States. Jonesport sits on the coast, probably about a third of the way across the county, closer to the western edge than to the eastern edge.

There appears to be a lot of useful information about the towns I'll be rolling through; I'll have to make sure to spend some time reading (and taking notes) before I leave. There was also one paragraph that really made me laugh. Here it is:
"When You Need Relief... Washington County is short on rest rooms but long on trees, and if you're really straining there's nothing to stop by from darting up many of the dirt roads that curve off the main highway. You could take your camera with you, which silently explains your presence, and anyway, you were there first. For luxury, try a service station."
Quote courtesy of Maine's Washington County, published by Eric Hinson, Calais, Maine 04619
So tell me, did I really need permission to take needed side-of-the-road pit stops? I've never had it before...