Denise Goldberg's blog

Red-clad feet on a purple bike
Wandering on two (bicycle) wheels in Downeast Maine

Friday, June 10, 2005

I'm sending wishes to the weather wizard

The last time I came to New England for a vacation when I lived outside of this area was many many years ago (if I remember correctly it was in the early 80's), and it was an unmitigated weather disaster. Rain, rain, more rain, and even a day of snow. (Obviously my friend and vacation buddy Sue & I misjudged New England weather in early October!) That wasn't a biking trip, but it was a hiking and camping trip. And then there was the supported tour I took with Backroads, also many years ago but when I lived in New England, a cycling and camping trip in Vermont. That was a late September trip, and I remember it as being cold and wet. In fact, they opened Killington (ski resort) while we were cycling, supposedly one of the earliest opening dates on record. Those were both trips in the leaf-peeping season though. Then there was the start of my cross-country tour back in June of 2002. That trip started with 2 days of 90-degree-plus sunny weather as I cycled from my home in Massachusetts through the corner of New Hampshire and into Vermont followed by what seemed like days of cold rain in Vermont and New York.

Do you wonder why my habit is to leave New England for my vacations? I'm breaking my habit, and I hope that the weather wizard is breaking the bad weather habit too. After all, there are a lot of people who come here from very far away and have very successful trips.

Weather wizard, this is for you! I'm hoping for a week of dry weather. I'd love some sunshine, but I'll be happy to put up with gray days if there isn't too much of that wet stuff coming out of the sky. And wind? Well, if you can keep the wind down too, I'd be very grateful.

Yes, you're right, this is New England, and anything can happen. And I am going to be on the coast, so I know I should expect wind. I can hope though, can't I?